Sunday, October 31, 2010

the ghost who walks/she's on the prowl

It’s Halloween in Paris and I am completely indifferent to celebration. Not that I am against the whole masquerade, I just could not care less. I am perfectly happy sitting in my candyless apartment waiting for trick-or-treaters that are certain to never come.

Last year, I was excited to dress up and embody someone else for a single night. Today, I am fed up with masquerading. I shall pass the hours contemplating reading the Roland Barthes article tucked away in my bag, or possibly starting my response to Jean Rhys’ Good Morning, Midnight. I will leave my hypothetical costume hanging in the closet.

Halloween, along with Valentine’s Day and New Years Eve, is a recipe with disappointment. And this year, disappointed I shall not be. Indifference is not conducive to disappointment.

Rewind ten years and I am dressed as Frankenstein, eager for sunset and the subsequent menagerie of candies. Isn’t it funny how time changes everything? Happy Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment