Wednesday, September 1, 2010

the circles of paris

I have only been in Paris a short while, and this being my first chance to grab a bit of Internet, I have a lot of thoughts running through my head. I have not become nearly as acquainted with the city as I would like, but what I know of it, I love.

I have learned that Paris is a quiet city. Not much happens in the streets between the hours of 1:00 AM and 9:AM. However, one must not be fooled, for within the walls of the old and beautiful buildings, there is much action. I keep finding myself comparing Paris to New York in almost every arena, and notice that it is in their energies that I find the greatest difference.

New York is not in the least bit modest; everything about her is out on display. Paris, on the other hand, is a bit more modest, a bit more private. A cute store clerk in the 1er arrondissement was talking to me about how closed off Parisians tend to be, especially when it comes to groups of friends. She mentioned that it is particularly hard to find an inner circle, to find a group of people who love you unconditionally. Reassuringly, she spoke of how much stronger she felt the love of a Parisian to be. Once you’re in, you’re in for good.

As I sit in a Starbucks, something tragically so American, watching my Internet credits dwindle, I cannot help but consider the possibility that I will spend the next few months searching for an in, finding nothing. Jeff, the wallflower.

The thing about New York is that it is so superficial that it can make one feel as though he is welcome, as though he is appreciated. Paris is completely indifferent. She almost wants you to feel alone. This afternoon I am going to meet the NYU group at the hostel, and maybe I will find an immediate connection? Maybe I will be offered an immediate in? If not, I guess I have plenty of time, and plenty of beautiful Parisian streets and boulevards, to search for one. 


Here is a picture of a door to the apartment building we are staying in, the inner courtyard, and the street (Rue de Bac). It is in a very beautiful location on the Left Bank. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment